Shorter days, longer nights and harsh outdoor temperatures keep us indoors during the winter months and cause many to become deficient in Vitamin D.
Vitamin D has multiple roles in the body helping to:
• Maintain the health of bones and teeth
• Support the health of the immune system, brain and nervous system
• Regulate insulin levels and aid diabetes management
• Support lung function and cardiovascular health
• Influence the expression of genes involved in cancer development(1)
Be selective when choosing your Vitamin D supplement as many Vitamin D brands are either synthetic or made from the fat deposit of sheep wool (Lanolin). Chose one that contains only plant-based Vitamin D. Natural Source’s D Perfect vitamin is extracted from lichen, and is made of Vitamin D3, rather than D2. Recent studies suggest that Vitamin D3 is better absorbed than D2.(2)
1. Source: Medical News Today http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/161618.php
2. Armas LA, Hollis BW, Heaney RP, “Vitamin D2 is much less effective than vitamin D3 in humans.” J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2004 Nov; 89(11): pp. 5387-5389.